[suggestion] Blog posts on forum

Return to forums | Return to General Discussion

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  TheBridge 3 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Flap
    Explorer
    2 pts

Hello,

I don’t know it the site structure would easilly allow it. But for community building, it would be great if we could reply to the blog posts on the forum !

About Pax East’s post : https://galacollider.com/2016/05/powertomario-my-experience-at-pax-east-2016/ . Yeah, it’d be great to see galacollider at PAX east next year.

#2663 Score: 0

PowerToMario
    Explorer
    2 pts

Not to say this is a great idea for its own sake, but being able to directly respond to these posts on the forum, especially metagame-focused article, would be cool.

Now I assume you’re referring to creating some sort of ‘original post template’, where maybe a thumbnail, excerpt and link are provided at the top (perhaps automatically populated on a message board?)

#2664 Score: 0

Flap
    Explorer
    2 pts

(..) Now I assume you’re referring to creating some sort of ‘original post template’, where maybe a thumbnail, excerpt and link are provided at the top (perhaps automatically populated on a message board?)

That might be too technical for me… The idea was simply to be able to interract with blog news where other discussion are going on.

#2667 Score: 0

Razcrux
    GalaCollider Team
    4 pts

Oops commenting was supposed to be active on this post, we just enabled it – but somehow it didn’t turn on properly. Is commenting on the post itself cool? We could look into linking it into the forum too if you think that has value.

#2676 Score: 0

Flap
    Explorer
    2 pts

Some game development site do it.

The result for me has been to spend some more time on the forum afterward.

But I suppose that it is an exclusive OR to avoid diluting the comments : either comments on the blog page, or in the forum. I already fell that between discord, skype and the forum, there are too many places to discuss… (but i might be old school)

#2678 Score: 0

Elijah Fisch
    Explorer
    3 pts

Thanks for the suggestion Flap! Having commenting on the blog is great, but it could also be nice to encourage heading to the forums.

Some game development site do it. The result for me has been to spend some more time on the forum afterward.

Do you know of any examples where we can check out how they’ve implemented it?

#2679 Score: 1

Flap
    Explorer
    2 pts

Sure !

One of the simplest implementation I have in mind (user wise. I have no idea if it is difficult to program) is on desktopdungeons.net. Below each article, the “comment” link sends to the forum, and it counts the number of replies in the forum. Caravel games does the same, even though it does not look as neat.

UnReal World does it the other way round : it retrieves the content of the posts from the “development news” section of the forum, and prints it on the first page.

A third way I have seen, is the example of Lexaloffle where the blog IS the forum (same database), except that these posts can also be accessed directly from the site landing page, and there is a view combining last news. I suppose that there is a bit more development behind that.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by  Flap.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by  Flap.
    #2684 Score: 0

TheBridge
    Explorer

Great catch, we will work on implementing comments again for our blog posts. Strangely they got disabled at some point! Thanks Flap.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.